On Wednesday May 23, 2007 a crowd of supporters gathered in Sydney to celebrate the launch of the CPD.
CPD Chair John Menadue AO, Board member Julian Burnside QC, and Director Miriam Lyons spelt out the scope of our work and the urgent need for us to make our voice heard. You can now download an MP3 of the event, or follow the links below to speeches and media coverage.
Of course, now that we are officially up and running the real work begins – we'll be diving straight into policy debates on health, education, climate change and the state of Australia's economy. Please point friends and colleagues to our website, and encourage them to demonstrate their support by making donations or becoming members.
CPD in the news
- The Australian: 'Menzies would shun Howard – top lawyer', 24.05.07
- The Daily Telegraph/AAP: 'Howard's Libs 'too far right'', 24.05.07
- New Matilda, 'Policy: Filling the Void' (an edited version of Julian Burnside's launch speech), 30.05.07
- CPD fellow Mark Bahnisch in The Australian: 'Intellectual poverty or bust', 23.05.07
- CPD fellow Ben Eltham in The Courier Mail: 'Arts sector gets boost', 10.05.07
Coming up soon
Next month's InSight magazine is nearly ready to hit your inboxes. The June edition will feature an exclusive report from CPD fellow Lyndsay Connors on John Howard's use of the statistical 'dark arts' in education funding.
And stay tuned next week for a proposal by Jennifer Doggett to dramatically reorient Australia's health care system in favour of primary care.