Dear CPD follower
It’s been a busy start to 2019 for CPD across our policy programs. Below you’ll find updates on:
- Mariana Mazzucato’s visit to Australia: videos, audio and more
- RSVP: ‘Climate Change & the Economy’, CPD public forum with RBA’s Guy Debelle
- Future of Employment Services and Shergold Review
- New CPD paper ‘Public Sector Directors’ Duties and Climate Risks’
- New paper from CPD fellow Chris Bonnor
- Other highlights
We’re excited to share with you the full roundup of Professor Mariana Mazzucato’s recent visit to Australia. Videos, audio recordings and photos of our John Menadue Oration and other full-house events in Sydney and Melbourne are now available on our website here.
CPD looks forward to building on Professor Mazzucato’s ideas, including ‘moonshot’ programs that bring together government, business and the community around bold initiatives for Australia.
Join CPD for our latest public event on climate change and sustainable finance, featuring an address from the Reserve Bank of Australia’s Deputy Governor, Dr Guy Debelle. Following his remarks, Dr Debelle will join a moderated panel discussion and Q&A. Please RSVP as soon as possible here to secure your place.
Date: Tuesday, 12 March 2019
Time: 5.30pm – 7.30pm
Venue: MinterEllison, Governor Macquarie Tower, Sydney
It’s a huge year for the future of Australia’s employment and settlement services. CPD has been busy on both fronts over the summer. Our work was quoted in the Employment Services Expert Advisory Panel’s report I Want to Work, released in December. In January, Lisa Button and Travers McLeod presented recommendations to the Shergold Review into Integration, Employment and Settlement Outcomes for Refugees and Humanitarian Entrants. We’re working with local communities on better approaches to help our most disadvantaged jobseekers, and presented to the Senate Inquiry into Jobactive on 1 February.
We’re reaching out to hiring managers and social inclusion professionals in Australian business in connection with our Cities and Settlement Initiative, which aims to help refugees to find sustainable jobs and start businesses. We would be grateful if you can take 15 minutes to complete this survey developed by CPD in relation to your company’s experiences with employing refugees. Please complete regardless of whether or not your company has actively sought to employ refugees in Australia. Thanks!
* We are delighted to announce Tim Nelson has joined CPD’s Research Committee. Tim will be well-known to many followers as the former Chief Economist at AGL and as an Associate Professor at Griffith University. Welcome, Tim!
* Arjuna Dibley discussed public authorities and climate risk in The Conversation.
* Chris Bonnor detailed his latest findings on inequity in Australia’s schools in Inside Story.
* Mariana Mazzucato was interviewed by Robyn Williams for ABC RN’s Science Show. ABC RN’s Big Ideas program will replay her Menadue Oration on 21 February.
* The Canberra Times featured CPD co-founder John Menadue’s take on big ideas for Australia’s democratic renewal. tory.